Since the first edition in 1949, sonsbeek, a path-breaking exhibition for art in the public space, has redefined international contemporary art and the discourse surrounding it. Taking place in the public space as well as in several institutions and community centers of Arnhem (The Netherlands), sonsbeek is one of the earliest large scale art projects following the Venice Biennale (1895), Whitney Biennial (1932) and preceding Documenta (1955).
The 12th edition, sonsbeek 20←24 force times distance, explores the elasticity of the large scale temporary art event format and connected conditions of artistic labour. The conversations we want to bring forward and build within sonsbeek deserve attention and time. To that end, sonsbeek is committing to its artists, to its audiences and to our many partners a longer period than is often the case: from 2020 to 2024.
Starting date: 1 June 2021
Contract period: 1 year (renewable with strong intention of extension to 2024)
Contract type: Parttime
Gross annual fee: €40,000
Other benefits: Work-permit for non-Dutch nationals, all Dutch public holidays and paid maternity leave, other benefits negotiable.
We are looking for an experienced, motivated, and committed Project Manager to (cross-)manage the multiple components of sonsbeek 20←24, including:
- sonsbeek exhibition; coordination of the curatorial, artistic, and technical considerations; maintaining excellent relations with partners and stakeholders;
- sonsbeek public and educational programme;
- special events such as openings and public relation events;
- sonsbeek information points and volunteers
The Project Manager has the responsibility to lead the team, oversee all (aspects of) the project planning, set deadlines, maintain financial oversight, assign responsibilities and monitor and summarize progress. The Project Manager has financial responsibility within the designated budgets for the projects.
The Project Manager prepares reports for meetings with upper management regarding status of the projects. The Project Manager will report to the director at least on a weekly basis. The Project Manager will attend every team-meeting.
The prospect Project Manager will join the team at the critical moment of exhibition build-up leading to the opening in July 2021, where they will be assisting and working closely with the outgoing Project Manager, to ensure a smooth handover process. The incoming Project Manager will then take the lead during the exhibition period and the ensuing public programme in 2021-22.
This is a unique opportunity for a motivated and creative individual to actively contribute to the critical re-shaping and re-structuring of an internationally renowned project with a profound legacy within the Dutch art context.
- No less than 10-year experience in managing large-scale art projects such as biennials, festivals, or fairs;
- Proficient command of English (Dutch and French are a plus);
- Excellent working knowledge of drawing and maintaining budgets;
- Working experience in an international context and with a team of diverse backgrounds;
- Capacity to engage with the thematics and concepts of sonsbeek20->24;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent planning skills;
- Availability to relocate to the Netherlands
sonsbeek 20←24 takes place under the auspices of artistic director Bonaventure Soh Bejeng Ndikung and his team of co-curators: Antonia Alampi, Amal Alhaag, Zippora Elders, and Aude Mgba. The organisation is led by general director Steven van Teeseling, supported by a public programming team, a communications team, a production team, and an administrative team.
Please send a short motivation letter and a CV to email@example.com, to the attention of Astrid Ubbink.
For questions regarding the content of the vacancy, please contact Steven van Teeseling, general director at firstname.lastname@example.org